The Lab's Experiences
The RS/GIS Lab has hands-on experience in Remote Sensing and GIS Applications, spatial planning, resource analysis, mapping and baseline studies in Ghana using both qualitative and quantitative methods and integrates the data into geospatial databases. Moreover, RS/GIS Lab consultants have worked both as a group and as individuals on several projects for EPA Ghana, EPA USA, CIDA funded MICAH Project, COTVET/SDF Funded Skill Training for Emergency Response Agencies and Revenue Mobilization Agencies and RTIMP Climate Vulnerability Mapping. Other works include Environmental Degradation and Socio-Economic study of Smallholder Farmers in the Upper East Region, and many others. Below is a summary of relevant experience over the last 15 years.
- 2014 Mobile Telephony-based Market Information Access on the Structure, Conduct and Performance of Agricultural Marketing in Rural Ghana
- 2013-2015: Establishment of Geospatial technology Center that will supply accurate, consistent and complete core geographic information database. Project Sponsored by Skill Development fund for GIS training of Revenue Mobilization and Emergency Response Agencies and also collect, achieved and supply geospatial data to the general public
- 2013 –Present: Coastal Vulnerability to climate change related flooding. A case study of Greater Accra Metropolitan Area (GMA)
- 2013 – Present: Community resilient and adaptation to climate change in the Northern Savanna Region of Ghana. CECAR Africa Research Initiative
- 2013 – 2014: Northern Savanna Human development Report. UNDP and UDS Project for Assessing Human development Indicators for the Northern Savanna Region of Ghana
- 2013 - Present: Crime and Space: Crime mapping of University of Ghana Campus
- TIGA Ghana Project- Ex-ante cropping Technology assessment and farm household segmentation for Inclusive poverty reduction and sustainable productivity Growth in Agriculture (TIGA)
- Strategic resource and critical ecology mapping for the proposed dredging of the Lower Volta Basin; SOTEC and EPA Ghana, Accra 2012.
• Nima Land Use Mapping Project: Millennium Cities Initiative of the Earth Institute at Columbia University, USA, and University of Ghana, 2010 and RS/GIS Laboratory.
• Remote Sensing evaluation of urban encroachment on the Sakumo coastal wetland in the Accra-Tema Metropolitan
• Population, Land use and the environment in a West African Savanna Ecosystem: an approach to sustainable land use on community lands in Northern Ghana: UNESCO & Department of Geography and Resource Development, University of Ghana.
• Community Participation in Environmental Conservation: A case study of Buabeng-Fiema Monkey Sanctuary Project. This was a field study and resource mapping involving the use of GPS, direct observation and field interviews with questionnaires that lasted for 30 days. The field study was sponsored by Global Environmental Facility/ Small Grant Project, Accra.
• Environmental Impact studies on the Lower Volta Basin: Location, Population size and water sources of settlements, Volta Basin Research Project, for Volta Basin Authority.
• A Socio-economic survey in the Upper East Region with reference to drought and desertification control in Ghana, Department of Geography and Resource Development, University of Ghana, EPC, Accra 1992.
• A synthesis of remote sensing and local knowledge approaches in land degradation assessment in the Bawku East district, Ghana.
• A remote sensing perspective on land use and environmental change in the Afram Plains of Ghana.
• Environmental Assessment Screening Report of the Kwahu MICAH World Vision Project, CIDA/WVGhana/WV Canada.
• Strategies for Bushfire intervention in Ghana, RS/GIS Laboratory, Department of Geography and Resource Development, University of Ghana, 1998.